Game Of Thrones: Everything You Need To Know About Season 3
Game Of Thrones Season 3 Preview: Everything You Need To Know About Favorite Characters, New Players and Storylines
Warning: This article contains spoilers for previous seasons and a sneak preview of Season 3.
Based on the first half of George R.R. Martin’s A Storm of Swords, the third season promises to be full of shocking twists and unexpected moments.
The trailers and promotional photos have whet our appetites on the fate of fan favorite characters and tantalizing story lines.
Let’s take an-depth preview at what we can expect from HBO’s Game of Thrones Season 3.
• The Old Game And The New – After awakening from his near-death experience, Tyrion quickly realizes the game is changing and he may no longer know the rules. During the Battle of Blackwater, one of the Kingsguard (Ser Mandon) almost assassinated him. Can Tyrion find proof Cersei was behind his murder attempt? At the same time, Tyrion treads carefully with Tywin Lannister who reclaimed his position as Hand of the King. Tywin does not appear to be concerned that Robb Stark is undefeated in combat because some battles are won with swords and spears, others with quills and ravens.
• A Season of Weddings – To act out of love and honor is not the most shrewd maneuver in the game of thrones. In Westeros, weddings are a strategic means to strengthen alliances between Houses as seen when Margaery is betrothed to Joffrey in part to dissuade the Tyrells from switching loyalties to the North. With Bran and Rickeon presumed dead, Sansa is next in line after Robb to inherit Winterfell. Will King’s Landing most eligible maiden get hitched and to whom? Meanwhile, after Robb’s reckless union with Talisa he must make amends with the cantankerous Lord Walder Frey because he broke his agreement to marry one of the Frey daughters.
• A Season Of Death – The repercussions of Ned Stark’s beheading is still unfolding as the War of the
Five Four Kings rages on. As Cersei once said, “You win or you die”. And only one can sit atop the Iron Throne at a time. Both contenders and pretenders in the struggle for power are all fair game. Who will join Khal Drogo, King Robert Baratheon, King Renly, Ned and Viserys in the afterlife? Hold on to your breeches, the season of death is upon us.
Top Characters To Watch This Season
• The Kingslayer – Jamie Lannister’s transgressions are worthy of a great antagonist. He became a bane of House Stark for pushing Bran out the tower window and spearing Ned in the leg. Not to mention his incestuous love affair with his twin sister Cersei spawned the loathsome King Joffrey to whom Sansa was betrothed to.
For most of last season, Jamie played a minor role as a prisoner of the Starks but now that he is on a dangerous trek back to King’s Landing, viewers will have the opportunity to be charmed by Jamie’s wry sense of humor, bravado and unabashed vanity. Amidst the adventure and sword fighting, his journey home in the custody of Brienne will affect him in ways that may lead him to rethink his dishonorable actions. And yes, he fights a bear!
• Mother Of Dragons – The exiled queen of Westeros evolved from a timid girl to a fierce young woman intent on reclaiming her rightful place on the Iron Throne. After rescuing her dragons from the House of the Undying, her next order of business is securing an army. On the advice of Ser Jorah Mormont, Daenerys Targaryen sails to Slaver’s Bay to inspect the Unsullied; eunuch slave soldiers, mercilessly trained from a young age to obey their masters and kill without hesitation. But can she give up one of her most valued possessions to purchase thousands of soldiers she needs to take back King’s Landing?
Ever since Dany was essentially sold to Khal Drogo for a golden crown, though not the one Viserys received, she strongly values freedom and protecting the ones that cannot protect themselves. Dany, Jorah and new adviser Arstan Whitebeard have difficult decisions to make about acquiring a slave army and freeing the slave cities. If she cannot conquer a slave city, how will she ever conquer the seven kingdoms?
• Lord Snow – One of the reasons why Jon Snow’s portrayal was not as effective in Season 2 is because his arc was largely an introspective journey. His quiet, conservative nature requires him to play off of characters like Tyrion and Samwell Tarly, with whom he shared some his best scenes in Season 1, to bring out his inner monologue.
Because Jon does not carry the Stark family name it’s understandable why identity and belonging are of great importance to him. Does his allegiance remain with the Night’s Watch or will he lead the Wildings over the Wall he swore to protect? Meanwhile, when the fiery and seductive Ygritte turns up the heat, will Jon break his oath of celibacy and have relations out-of-wedlock; the same dishonorable deed that resulted in his own bastard birth?
• Joffrey, Cersei, Ilyn Payne, The Hound, Polliver and The Mountain – For a young girl, Arya Stark sure has a lot of people on her kill list. Arya is a fan favorite because she’s courageous, wise beyond her years and stays true to herself even while posing as Arry the boy and Tywin Lannister’s cupbearer.
After escaping Harrenhal with the help of the man of many faces (Jaqen H’ghar), Arya, Hot Pie and Gendry travel towards castle Riverrun where Robb has set up his base of operations. Along the way, Arya crosses paths with members of the Brotherhood Without Banners, an outlaw group led by Beric Dondarrion who fights Lannister rule. Will these righteous outlaws return this lost wolf to her pack?
New Players To Watch This Season
• King Beyond The Wall – A former member of the Night’s Watch, Mance Rayder is the leader of the free people. His goal is to escape the White Walkers by taking the Wildings over the Wall or toppling it.
• Queen Of Thorns – Olenna Tyrell’s sharp tongue and unfiltered remarks earn her nick name. She arrives in King Landing to attend the wedding of her grand daughter Margaery and King Joffrey.
• Children of Crannogmen – The bond between House Reed and the Starks go back a generation. Enter Meera and Jojen Reed who help Bran understand his wolf dreams and accompany him on his perilous journey.
• The Blackfish – Ser Brynden Tully is Catelyn Stark’s wise uncle and becomes a valued part of Robb’s war council.
Game Of Thrones Season 3 meets The Princess Bride video – My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!
Get ready for Game Of Thrones Season 3 which will premiere on March 31st, 2013 on HBO. Find out where each House ranks in terms of power and position in Game Of Thrones: House Power Rankings and watch A Gathering Storm, Season 2 video recap.
You May Like By Sidekick Reviews
Posted on March 24, 2013, in Game of Thrones and tagged A Song of Ice and Fire, A Storm Of Swords, Emilia Clarke as Daenerys Targaryen, Game of thrones, Game Of Thrones Season 3 Deaths, Game Of Thrones Season 3 Preview, Game Of Thrones Season 3 Spoilers, Game Of Thrones Season 3 Trailer, Game Of Thrones Season 3 Weddings, George R.R. Martin, HBO, Kit Harrington as Jon Snow, Maisie Williams as Arya Stark, Michelle Fairley as Catelyn Stark, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Jamie Lannister, Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister, Valar Dohaeris. Bookmark the permalink. 7 Comments.